In motion control applications, one requires a power system that can help provide smooth, controllable motion without any excessive power consumption. DC gear motors are the perfect solution for this requirement. DC gear motors simply require an electric current to create the electromechanical energy required to create motion in an application.
How DC Gear Motors Work?
There is one important component that differentiates a DC gear motor from a general DC motor. The DC gear motor has an extension built into it, which is used to reduce the speed of the rotation. The gear can be used to reduce the speed and increase the torque, thus being able to provide precise motion and control.
Benefits of DC Gear Motors
There are a number of reasons why this product is chosen for various applications that require motion control devices.
- They can be used for continuous operations where the motor is used for long periods of time.
- It can provide benefits of cost-effectiveness and durability.
- Some motor types are manufactured with the incorporation of plastic gears. This option also adds to the cost-effectiveness of the motor.
- Motors with plastic gears also comprise a torque limiting slip clutch to protect the gears.
- Some applications may have a requirement for the motor to perform backdriving, where the motor is used in reverse. In such cases, DC gear motors can be fitted with a failsafe brake option. These are designed to hold a static load in place.
Industrial Applications of DC Gear Motors
The aforementioned benefits of DC gear motors make a popular choice for a variety of industrial applications involving motion control:
- Recreational Vehicle Slide-Out Applications
- Home and Office Automation Systems
- 5th Wheel Landing Gear Systems Robotics
- Military Vehicles
- Solar Power Applications
- Medical Equipment
Looking at the above information, there is no doubt that DC gear Motors are the best systems for precision motion applications.